Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Why Do You Want to Sell On-Line? Part 2


??  WHY Sell On-Line ??

Last week we discussed the main reason that many want to sell on line and it is money. However, there are many intangible reasons for selling on line. Perhaps you have always wanted your own business to fulfill a need within you, and that is a great reason. I know that was true with me. I read many books on starting a small business long before I was able to do anything about it. Many of us are tied down to jobs with paychecks since we need to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, so you can’t generally just quit your job to start a business of your own. If you get laid off, sidelined due to disability, become a stay at home mom or dad once children come and you want to help bring in some more money, are all good, legitimate times to go ahead and plunge into starting your business. I actually fell into my on-line selling business, and several things I would have done much differently if I had known then what I know now. Or you can learn all you can and then dip your toes in the water and start selling and doing the business start up work on your evenings off and weekends. However you do it, starting an on-line business can proceed slowly and you can be accomplishing a dream.

Another reason that you may want a business is to prove that you aren’t that chump who will never amount to anything according to your family and/or friends. With thoughtful research, planning, diligence and execution you can surprise them all.

I have heard of many crafters that love crafting but after a while they don’t have the funds to buy what they need to continue crafting, so they start selling their handcrafts to support their crafting habit. This can apply to any collector as well; they sell their items with less value so they can afford the items with more value and thus have a much nicer and valuable collection. Perhaps you can no longer be as active in a hobby like you would like to be so you keep in touch via selling the supplies that other collector or crafters need. This has an added benefit of keeping you participating in something you love and many of the things you need for keeping up with your niche becomes tax deductible (please check with your accountant or IRS publications on this).

There are lots of reason that you may want to sell on-line including small cumulative reasons such as; no need for an alarm clock, ability to work at home in your pajamas if you choose, no driving through blizzards for an hour or two to get to a work site or even the need to clean snow off the car for days at a time, no boss above you squelching your ideas since this is your business and not anyone else’s. There is also the freedom to set your own working time to coincide to when you are at your best for working. For many, myself included, these are some of the best reason to work from home and selling on-line is one way to achieve your goals of this sort of job freedom.

One big reason to sell on-line is that you may have ‘wanderlust’ or ‘itchy feet’ with no job keeping you happy for long. I used to be a nurse and had 7 different nursing jobs in 14 years because after a while I just couldn’t stand working at those facilities. Yet with what I do to sell on-line now, I’ve been doing it for over 12 years and still love doing it even though my health doesn’t allow me to work ‘full-time’. That is what I call a successful business. Doing what you love and making money while doing it!

Tip of the Day. What is your main reason for wanting to be a stay at home business person running an on-line business? What are some of the smaller reasons that you want to do this?  What are your goals and thoughts on why you want to start selling on-line? What do you hope to accomplish financially and emotionally from selling on-line?  Write these things down for when the going gets tough, and it will, so you can read them again and remember why you are doing this. Also as you go through your beginning thought process you may discover that selling on-line is the LAST thing you want to do. Better to find out sooner that later.

Years before I ever had my own business, I read many books by Paul and Sarah Edwards that gave me knowledge for when I did start my own business. I realize that some of their advice may be a bit dated, especially when it comes to hardware, internet and venues to sell on, however, the thought process behind starting your own business was always spot on. You might want to read some of their books either bought via Amazon or borrowed from your public library. Paul and Sarah Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughtful comments are always appreciated. All comments will be moderated for applicable content. Any comment may be deleted at blog owners discretion.